Re: Fw: High voltage fuse (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:16:10 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fw: High voltage fuse (fwd)

Hi Mark,

I was recently looking this up to get the specs for fuses that came with
some 14.4 kV PT's. An "E" fuse is a general purpose medium voltage fuse,
and is designed to be the primary interrupting element for both low
(overload) and high values of fault current. An E fuse is typically used
on the HV side of a transformer or in series with larger motors, and is
designed to handle large inrush currents and temporary overloading
without blowing. It can sustain (without blowing) 200-240% of rated
current for 300 seconds (100 amp rating and below) or for 600 seconds
(fuses rates above 100 amps). Manufacturers suggest sizing them at
133-140% of normal full load current.

An "R" rated fuse is designed primarily for short circuit interruption
on circuits driving motors and must be used with other overload sensing
hardware to protect downstream equipment from low current overload
conditions.

See the following URL's for more details:
http://www.littelfuse.com/PDFs/Products/MVE.pdf
http://www.littelfuse.com/PDFs/Products/MVR.pdf
http://stevenengineering.com/Tech_Support/PDFs/76MEDR.PDF (has numerous
current vs time graphs)

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP