Re: Wimshurst machines (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:18:34 +0100
From: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Wimshurst machines (fwd)

all,

I have just uploaded a rendering of the layout of the drive belt for a
Wimshurst Machine using only one belt, but still operating the machine
facing the discs, and with the benefit of having the same ratio of
revolutions btwn. the large driving pulley and the smaller pulley`s on
the disk bosses.
By rendering the drive pulleys as transparent, it is possible to
visualize the complete path of the belt, something that is difficult
with real world materials. ( Well, of course the parts could be made
from polished acryllic...but then there would be optic abberations.)

http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/TRANSWIM.JPG

All pulleys, except the one in the front of the machine, with the crank
handle (not shown), are idlers.

Anyway, as you will see, the layout follows that of :
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/rovc1.jpg
and
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/rovc2.jpg
Which was built by Paul Hendriksen

With the added convenience of ratio and operating position. By the
latter I mean "where the crank is situated, and hence where the operator
stands, ie. in front of the machine".