Re: O2 concentrator/molecular sieve (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 05 Sep 2003 10:54:42 -0600
From: Wayne Green <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: O2 concentrator/molecular sieve

These are popular in the Nitrox mixed-gas scuba industry.
The seive is a nitrogen seive, that passes nitrogen and
leaves the rest behind. Developed as a cheap way to make
nitrogen, except in scuba you vent the nitrogen and keep
the oxygen. There are diagrams available from the vendors
of these machines, and you can get the parts fairly
readily. They are not cheap. CHeck scuba shops in your
area that sepcialize in Nitrox. Larger shops tend to
do it with a seive.

The second thing is the warning. O2 in concentrations
higher than about 25% are very dangerous, and have
been documented as causes of explosions when mixed
with oils. Since a compressor is used, oil contamination
occurs easily. I have a friend who has had O2 equimpent in
a hospital explode from a finger print. The flash injured
the operator. You will hear arguments that there is
no real problem, but the thermodnamics of the problem
speak for themselves. You be the judge.

BTW the seives aren't cheap.

--Wayne
Retired Scuba Instructor.