Re: "Flyback" Driver - Why are my MOSFETS hot? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 11:12:32 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: "Flyback" Driver - Why are my MOSFETS hot? (fwd)

On 2 Jul 2004, at 22:30, High Voltage list wrote:

> Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxx>

Shouldn't that be "source"?

> <http://www.mss.cx/tmp/scopeshot2.jpg> shows same hook-up, but with
> 24V turned on.
>
> Images are reduced to about 30kb for painless viewing ;-)
>
> > Some quick and dirty calcs:
> >
> > ASSUMPTION: duty cycle is 50%
> Yep - I've tweaked it so that it is :-)
> >
> > Ipk = V*Ton/Lp = 24*25e-6/2e-4 = 3A   which sounds OK ASSUMING the
> > core is gapped.
> It is - there are mica (?) shims 0.3mm thick.
>
> > How many turns on the primary?
> 26 - as near as I can see.
>
>  > What is the effective pole area (Ae) of the core?
> 150mm sq, based on the legs on which the windings sit and deducting
> the cutaway that accommodates the tie bolts.
>
> > From that information I can calculate the core flux and
> > determine whether B (flux density) is being kept to a reasonable
> > level. You should be able to do this all with a single MOSFET and I
> > speak from experience.

>From the data provided, The core appears to be experiencing 150mT
which is fine for any 3Cx material so the answer lies elsewhere. The
first thing I would look at is significantly increasing the applied
gate voltage and I'd recommend 12V minimum. Also, just use a single
MOSFET so that the gate capacitance and hence switching time is
reduced to a minimum. I looked at the oscillograms with interest
(BTW, the old HP scope was one of my favourites for many years). The
drive waveform suggests that your MOSFETs are being turned on
sporadically when they should be off.  Do you have a Vds waveform to
post? Also, the source current waveform appears to be ramping in the
wrong direction. Something appears funny there.?
     I do not recommend using source current-sharing resistors as
they introduce NFB into the circuit. For fast transitioning
waveforms, these shouldn't be necessary for multiple MOSFETs
(different to bipolars). I'd run with a single MOSFET (e.g. IRF840).

Malcolm