HV supply from LCD Monitor (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 07:16:02 +0930
From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: HV supply from LCD Monitor

Greetings

I have a very small HV unit, salvaged from an LCD monitor.  I think it provided
power to the (cold cathode?) backlight.

1) Looking at the way the transformer is wound (flat transformer - series of
bobbins on HV side) and track/pin spacings at the "hot" end, it looks like this
is designed to produce kV's.  Anyone know any ballpark figures for what similar
devices put out?

2) The device has 7 pins on the logic side.  Is there any chance that this could
be run just by connecting two of them?  Two of the pins are identifiable as
ground (I assume 0V of either a +5V or +12V supply), leaving five others as
unknowns.

Trying to map a tiny, double sided SMD board is not the easiest thing in the world!

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy

Outside temperature:  16.6 degrees Celcius.
Wind due NW,  6.1km/hr gusting to  8.5km/hr
Temperatures today (avg/max/min):   5.7/ 17.2/  3.6 degrees Celcius.
Max wind speed today  8.5km/hr at 07:00
Precipitation today: 0.000mm