Re: Fluoroscope (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:38:44 -0400
From: humanb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fluoroscope (fwd)

Yes you are right; x-rays are not to be fooled with. I was
using a bare tube, but will be working to setup a shielded
enclosure before I use it again, and also put it under oil
as the tube can get hot, not to mention corona. I used
Geiger counters backed up with SRD's (self-reading
dosimeters) to measure the "low-dose" areas. For the
extreme high dose rate areas (in the beam shine, and next
to the tube) I used the SRD's and a stopwatch to get a
good approximate reading.

I do want to emphasize though, that I would highly advise
folks not to try this unless you have experience in
radiation safety and have the correct dosimetry and
radiation detection equipment. I worked as Health Physics
Technician from 1988-1996 and have handled sources up to
400 Curie Cs-137 ones used for calibration, and I will
tell you I have just as much respect for this x-ray tube
as I would for one of those! I am thinking that this tube
when run at 80KV and full filament voltage will be able to
put out in excess of 500 R/Hr, that’s nearly 140
mRem/second!

As I mentioned on the Fusor board, I now have renewed
respect for the regulations regarding the used and
maintenance of X-Ray equipment.

Be safe,

David Trimmell

[Remember that radiation doesn't just light up the things you point it at.
There's scattered radiation to contend with as well, so a site survey and
proper dosimetry is very important.. SRR]