Re: CW multiplier (fwd)

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:17:10 -0800
From: David Mathes <airman@xxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: CW multiplier (fwd)

Gordon

Are you using the transformer before or after the CW multiplier. Draw a simple block diagram to show input/outputs please.

Cockcroft Walton multipliers are basically comprised of diodes and caps. In selecting a capacitor there are four things you will need to know: frequency of pulse, maximum voltage of pulse, and input whether it be square wave or sine wave.

Multilayer caps are preferable to reduce the size. You may want to use a capacitor in the nanofarad range (1uF to 0.001 uF)

THe voltage of the cap must exceed the input voltage. For 35 VAC input, 50 volt would be prefered because of overshoot on square waves and rms of AC.

The diode voltage must be large than the capacitor. Typically, the diode will fail first in a CW circuit.

For an online calculator, see http://blazelabs.com/cw-brm-java.asp

David Mathes

--
David Mathes