Re: Marx generator (fwd)

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:12:21 +0000
From: Mike Harrison <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Marx generator (fwd)

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:55:37 -0700 (MST), you wrote:

>Original poster: <sroys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

As long as you have enough capacitance (about >1nf), additional capacitance should not make much
difference to the output lenghth - it just makes it brighter and louder

The voltages per inch above sound about right - I get 4.5 feet in bipolar mode from 1MV (approx),
which is 0.054"/KV although I may  have pushed the input a bit higher than 25KV that time..!
This is by no means a precise science though, especially where fast risetimes are concerned -
anything within 20% is probably fine, but your output does seem on the low side.

If you run it in the dark you will easily see if you have a large amount of corona loss..! I only
see significant corona on about the top quarter of mine (www.electricstuff.co.uk/marxthree.html).

How are you triggering ? are you relying on gap breakdown or using a forced trigger ?
If the former, maybe not all the caps are fully charging.

0.28" sounds very short for a 20KV gap, especially of force-triggered I'd have thought double that
would be more appropriate, depending on geometry of course.