Re: Saturable Reactors (yes, again :)) (fwd)

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 08:33:56 -0800 (PST)
From: J. Aaron Holmes <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Saturable Reactors (yes, again :)) (fwd)

Or perhaps even this recipe is too complicated.  What
about just putting two identical single-phase
transformers together so that their outputs are in
series opposing, leading to 0V.  Across the series
output, you now apply a DC control voltage, such as
the rectified output of a variac.  Would *that* work?

If my thinking is not conspicuously incorrect, perhaps
somebody with two identical small transformers would
give it a shot and tell me if it does actually work?
I can't think of why it wouldn't...or perhaps I just
can't think ;-)

A couple of identical MOTs might work, provided the
output voltages really are the same.  I can well
imagine that with how MOs are slapped together, the
tolerances are probably pretty lowsy.

...anyway, as you can see, I'm trying to discover a
way to build a saturable reactor without doing any of
my own winding, as that seems awful work, particularly
if you're going for higher powers and using
heavy-gauge wire.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE