Re: Close lightning strike and strange tick (fwd)

Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 18:21:58 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Close lightning strike and strange tick (fwd)

High Voltage list wrote:
> Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Chip,

I had the same experience several years ago, under very similar
circumstances. I heard it as a "tick" or "click", very similar to your
description. It was a quick, short click, but considerably "duller" than
  the sharp snap of an electric spark, and it was simultaneous with the
first flash.

One possibility is that you an incomplete upward leader from a very
nearby object. However, I don't think this was the case, since the sound
was not a sharp, spark-like crack. Another possibility is that, with the
main discharge, the nearby electrical field suddenly changed. This might
cause a sudden movement of leaves on trees, blades of grass, etc.
However, I wouldn't expect the noise to be a brief "tick" since the area
affected by the E-field change would be fairly large and the sound more
distributed.

Another possibility, and the one I suspect, is that you actually
detected the electromagnetic impulse from the lightning strike itself.
If so, it may be related to a phenomenon known as the "microwave
auditory phenomenon" (also known as the "microwave hearing" or "Frey
Effect"). This occurs when humans (and some animals) are subjected to
short impulses of microwave radiation. The exact mechanism(s) are not
completely understood. Some theories invoke thermal-acoustic pulse,
which is induced within the water in your soft tissues and then detected
by your inner ear. Other research implies that there may be more direct
detection processes going on within the brain itself. For a pulsed
microwave signal, the "sound" that is heard is a click coincident with
the leading edge of the pulse. Changing the parameters of the pulse can
change the sound, and audio modulated words can also be detected...
sounding sort of like a Cylon (robot-like).

There is no doubt that the above effects are real and repeatable for
microwave and radar pulses... perhaps for lightning RF impulses as well??

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured