[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

Also, I thought the RMS/Peak-to-peak voltage measurement went the
other way.  I know that for standard house current, the 120V is really an
RMS (Root Mean Square = average) measurement, which would always
be less than the peak voltage.  Since house current is a sine wave, the
peak voltage is sqrt(2) * RMS_voltage, and the peak-to-peak voltage is
about 340V.  I always assumed that a transformer that was rated at
12KV meant RMS volts?

Re caps: one rule of thumb that I've heard is that your caps should be
rated for at least 2.5 x your primary voltage.  Also, the voltage across
the caps can  be many times the input voltage due to resonance
effects, not just the supply voltage.

                Steve Roys
Steven Roys (sroys-at-anchorage.ab.umd.edu)