[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Caps Secondary Chokes

Packet: TYRELL
Date: 04-26-94 (22:27)             Number: 0
From: CSHIELDS                     Refer#: 8
  To: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com      Recvd: NO (PVT)
Subj: Re: Chokes Caps Secondarys     Conf: (0) Email
I decided to comment on several issues in one note!  I am not saying I
have any pat answers, no one does, but I do have several books that talk
about these things, and from the study I have done so far, this is some
of what I have learned.

Hey Mark-  On the capacitors, it's suggested that one use capacitors
that are rated at least 20% above twice the peak RMS voltage.  That is
the way one source has it.  The way I am going is making my own
capacitors.  I will have (2) .018ufd polyethylene & mineral oil caps
wired in series which is supposed to be good for .009ufd at 20KVAC. They
say that caps like this can be good for up to 30,000VAC peak, but they
say not to use this design with higher than 15000v transformers.
By wiring in series, no more than 7500v goes across either cap in my
coil powered by 15000/120ma. This is pretty conservative according to
the info I have.

Chip-  On the secondary made of wood.  Is that a solid core of wood?  Or
just a thin framework to wind the wire on?   From what I understand, the
thinner the secondary form material, the better.  In any event it should
be hollow, as in an air core.  They say the best is a thin framework of
wood to support an "air wound" secondary.  I am using PVC pipe coated
with polyurethane.  Plexiglass tubing is supposed to be better, but very
expensive.

As far as chokes go, I think they are mainly to protect the neon sign
transformers. They are a must from what I understand.  A line filter
must be used on the input side of the neons to prevent any interference
getting back to your power source.

Craig
---
 ~ QMPro 1.52 ~ Halloween: Wear a disturbing mask & Demand gifts.