To: richard.quick-at-slug.st-louis.mo.us
From: "SROYS"  <SROYS-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu>
Date:         Wed, 21 Dec 1994 15:34:23 EDT
Subject:      Re: Transformers

Greetings Richard,

First, this is a re-post.  I originally sent this message about 8 days ago
and did not receive any response, so I'm assuming it never got to you
and am trying again...

I don't have a pole pig yet, but I have wired up some 4kV microwave
oven transformers in series, and I'm not really sure what precautions I
need to take.  In this light, I have a few questions that I'd like to ask you
before I do anything ignorant to damage myself or my surroundings...

1. A few of the xformers have the secondary connected to the core - is
this a problem, and if so, should I simply disconnect the wire from the
core?

2. Is it better to let the secondaries float or should I set it up so that one
side of the middle transformer secondary is grounded?  In general, are
center tap gounded transformers better, safer, etc... than ones without
the center tap grounded?

3. How many transformers can I hook up in series before getting into
trouble?  I currently have 3 of them wired to (nominally) give me 12kV
and I was thinking of wiring in the fourth to give me 16kV.

4. I have a 35kV, 3kVA potential transformer that I bought surplus.  I was
going to use a variac to keep the voltage down to a more reasonable
level, but will this really be suitable for coiling or will it just end up
being a killer Jacob's ladder?

Thanks in advance for you time.  I've really enjoyed your posts;
they've been very informative and have given me something to shoot
for.   I hope to have the time over the Christmas holiday to work on a 6"
coil built as per your posts.  Keep up the good work!

Steven Roys (sroys-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu)
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12