[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tesla coil questions

Mark Conway wrote :

CH>Hi everyone,

CH>This is originally a set of queries  concerning tesla coils that I have been
CH>trying to send to Richard Quick but I have been unable to get in contact wit
CH>him

I haven't had any replies lately either, maybe his BBS has
"fallen over" :-)

CH>I have just bought the 6 inch plastic pipe for it - it is grey stormwater
CH>pipe,not schedule 40 but it is a bit thicker than the usual pvc downpipe use
CH>in houses. Do you think that this will be ok? I have just seen your post on

It will be Ok. Mine was.

CH>Chip's email about plastic pipes for Tesla coils- how do you bake your pipe
CH>to drive out moisture- do you use a blow dryer or what?

Nope. The oven set at about 40 - 50 degrees C is Ok. Careful it
doesn't go over that though. Needs about 30 minutes. When you've
finished winding it's important to cover the coil with varnish or
epoxy to seal it completely. I use a lathe on slow speed and pile
the coats on.

CH>I cant locate any aluminium flashing over here but I can get copper flashing

I use Al cooking foil, the heaviest stuff. It works well.

CH>Looking at your coil in the video it seems to be about 24 inches high but I'
CH>not sure of that or what kind of wire you used to wind it or how many turns
CH>you wound. Also what is the total length of the 6 inch plastic pipe
CH>(including the unwound length)?

You really need to run TESLAC don't you ? That will give you a
wealth of data to start with. I've asked Mark if he can do a MAC
compile for you.

CH>Also ( sorry about all these questions!) in a posting you put on fidonet
CH>about making polythene capacitors written by Bert Pool he mentions that it i
CH>much better to use multiple polythene sheets to prevent breakdown in case of
CH>a bad patch on the polythene. I notice that in one of your postings you say
CH>that multiple sheets affect the efficiency of the capacitor. Do you think
CH>that I should just use a single or multiple sheets if I want to get spark
CH>like in your video?

In my opinion if the poly is thick enough, then 2 layers are
un-necessary. You need to use 60 mils or about 1.5 mm thick for
12 KV. Remember it's dipped in oil as well, so the oil can become
the di-electric too if there's any gaps.

Jim Oliver <jim.oliver-at-welcom.gen.nz> (3:771/370)

 * SLMR 2.1a *