[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla coils & artistic glass

On Thu, 15 Sep 1994, Buster Stevens wrote:
> I tried to find out ... the electrical size of the fields, and the
> frequency that Tesla must have used to generate such a force to light
> up a bank of light bulbs, miles away from the source.
	.
	.
	.
> I pursued the notion of what frequency and voltage is necessary to
> transmit mega power thru the air. The voltage can be guessed at because he
> produced witnessed lightning over a known distance. It still remains a
> mystery to me at what frequency and the antenna dimensions to produce the
> proper magnetic or electical fields for transmission and reception.
	.
	.
	.
>    I feel one only needs to experiment to obtain empirical data
> adequated to construct practical equipment for commercial applications.

Antenna design, electromagnetic field shape, and the relationship of
frequency and wavelength are, collectively, a consumingly interesting
subject.  The ARRL publishes at least two quite wonderful books with good
introductory and practical information on the subject:  "The Radio
Amateur's Handbook" and "The ARRL Antenna Book".  In addition, there is a
group of very nice people who have been experimenting with antenna design
for many decades: ham radio operators.

Because of Mr. Stevens' high interest in this field and for many other
beneficial reasons, I'd suggest becoming a radio amateur as a delightful
and productive activity to lead into, and follow up on, second-quarter
college physics, which deals with electromagnetics.

I applaud Mr. Stevens' interest in electromagnetics and in the study of
harmonic motion, which relates to frequency and wavelength.

				Bruce Gold
				   Utah

----- End Included Message -----