[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

More on breakdown in thin films

Just another little tidbit.

	I found some information on the breakdown voltages of sputtered
thin films of SiO2 (Quartz) used in the semiconductor industry. THey easily
get 10,000 volts/mil (YES, that's TEN_THOUSAND!!!) for thicknesses of
around a micron. That's 10 times the "bulk" breakdown for almost anything.

	Also, with diminished thickness, they seem not to have so many
problems with the frequency dependence of the breakdown. The FET's in your
100Mhz Pentium withstand huge breakdown fields at dc-100Mhz.

	I want to make a test cap made from series stacks of thin film caps
to see if this has any real potential, but I don't have a coil to test it
on. Anybody know of somebody with a coil in central Ohio or Kentucky?

-Ed