[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help!!!

 * Original msg to: Lbliao-at-alumni.caltech.edu
 * Carbons sent to: usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net

Quoting lbliao <lbliao-at-ALUMNI.CALTECH.EDU>:

 > You are not in tune. The tank circuit frequency must match the
 > natural 1/4 wave resonate frequency of the secondary. R. Quick

> If someone can explain the reason behind this, it would help
> a lot.

The Tesla coil is a resonate RF transformer with an air core.
It is a different breed of RF power processing machine.
(The is nominated for my understatement of 1995)

In order to process power, the system has to be in tune. Both
circuits must be in tune, frequency matched, in harmony,
whatever, in order for energy to transfer/process between the
supply side (the tank circuit/oscillator) and the resonating side
(the coil/resonator).

The secondary coil is actually a 1/4 wave open helical resonator.
This resonator has an inherant or "base line" frequency based on
the wire length and dimensions. This base line frequency can be
reduced by the addition of isotropic capacitance (read discharge
terminal) on the open end of the coil. The larger the isotropic
capacitance (discharge terminal) the lower the resultant
frequency.

In order for the resonator to be excited, that is to produce a
resonate voltage rise, it must be "fed" or "excited" with energy
in the proper form. The most common methods used to excite the
secondary coil to spark are to: couple the coil to an oscillating
magnetic field flux where the frequency of oscillation matches
the frequency of the coil (with discharger); or feed RF current
of the proper frequency directly into the base wire of the
resonating coil.

In other words, no matter what your method is to force energy
into the secondary coil, this energy must be of the proper
frequency or the secondary coil will not respond.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12