[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Making Toroid Dischargers

Michael Ax wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I signed up for the list on the weekend and think I got my hands full of
> leads of things and places to follow up on Mr Tesla's life already. THANK
> YOU ALL!
>
> In reading about the torroids and the ridiculous prices asked for them I
> made a mental note to call a friend who owns a machine shop. He assures me
> that he can make them in any size etc and that they shouldn't be too much.
> So.... not being a wirehead myself,
> I just wanted to put out this info and ask if someone could pass along a
> blueprint for the item(s) in question. That way Gregory could look at it and
> confirm that they are easy to make. When we get that done, SOMEONE else
> should record interest and we'll get some of these terminals made. Yes? good.

Hi Michael,

In order for a toroid to be easily used, it must be lightweight.  Therefore, it
must be hollow.  Commercial toroids are made of 2 spun aluminum halves which are
then welded together and sanded smooth.  It is not a real easy process.  If your
friend can spin a sheet of aluminum and form it, he may be able to sell a few.

Now if you were talking about just turning one from a solid piece of aluminum,
forget it.  They weight too much.  I have a small 8"x2" solid aluminum toroid.
In this small size, it still weighs about 10 lbs.  Imagine the weight of even a
20"x4" unit.  I would need a small engine lift to move it around.

Let us know if your friend can spin sheet .080"-.120" aluminum.

Scott Myers