[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

120 OR 240???

 * Carbons Sent to: lisanap-at-cats.ucsc.edu

Quoting Mark Napier

 MN> You are right, Richard.  That is a lot of 440VAC rated caps.
 MN> I was just looking at them today in the C&H catalog.  I'm
 MN> envisioning a disconnect box that I can plug into the dryer
 MN> outlet. The one I have is on a 30A breaker.

Yes this is exactly the kind of service I would look for. Though
some will scream about supposed code violations, you can upgrade
the breaker in the box to a 50 amp here without much problem.
Every code 240 volt household service wiring that I have looked
at was much heavier duty than the intended load. I am not saying
that you can, or should, abuse the code wiring. What I am saying
is that a Tesla coil is not operating with the same duty cycles
as a dryer, stove, or air conditioner. I run several sets of
circuit protection in all of my Tesla supply wiring, and I watch
my power draw on a meter. With proper loading, circuit pro-
tection, and metering, I am not worried about cooking or
overloading a circuit.

 MN> I have one 60ma and two 30ma 12000v neons.  Would it work to
 MN> parallel the two 30ma's together and then series that pair
 MN> to the 60ma? Sounds hairy.

Sounds hairy, but it will probably work fine once you get
everything phased correctly.

 MN> Think I will look for another 12K/60 just for simplicity.
 MN> Are pfc caps in series or parallel to the neon primary?

Parallel. The capacitance is placed across the line as close as
possible to the neon primary coil.

 MN> And if I needed 140-145uF with 120VAC, What do I need with
 MN> 240VAC?

Divide by four. You will need 35 uF or so of pfc capacitance at
240 volts.

 MN> So much to learn.

So much to burn!

Richard Quick