From: Kristian Tapani Ukkonen <kukkonen-at-snakemail.hut.fi>
To: Richard Quick <richard.quick-at-slug.st-louis.mo.us>
Subject: RE: CAP DESIGN

>On Sat, 14 Jan 1995, Richard Quick wrote:

About di-electric plates for a cap..

> the defects will probably not be apparent if the power supply is
> rated for 10 kV. If you never intend to place a higher voltage
> transformer across it you should be just fine.

It appears that I shall have to use 8kV 105mA for running the system
so the voltage-rating is more than enough.. and the x-former oil should
fill the dents anyway if they don't get fixed as I press the plates
together..

> As far as the chemical purity of the plastic, pure ldpe has a
> soft milky appearance in these thicknesses.

That's exactly the appearance of my plastic - Great!

About moisture content of the capacitor insulating oil...
> but in these caps a little moisture will not hurt much. You can
> pour the oil over dessicant in the filter paper if you are concerned,
> it will reduce the water content quite a bit.

..and by leaving a little "empty" space to the bottom of the tank between
the bottom-plate and the cap-plates - the water should gather there because
of density-differencies..

btw: I do now have the electrodes ready for the airblast-spark.gap with
the holes in the middle of the end-faces as you described.. I'll soon
make a base for the electrodes using acrylic plastic so that the both
electrodes are fixed to the base but part of the base is mobile compared
to the other electrode - aka I can adjust the distance between electrodes
without having to touch/turn them like in your design.. They are not
of brass but bronze - I guess that is does not matter as the m.p. is higher..

Yours,

  Kristian Ukkonen.
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

----- End Included Message -----