Date: 11 Jan 1995 16:06:26 GMT
From: mconway-at-deepthnk.kiwi.gen.nz (Mark Conway)
Subject: flat plate capacitors
To: richard.quick-at-slug.st-louis.mo.us

Hi Richard,

Another question for you again!

I have been unable to find any source of 60 mil polyethylene film over here
(the only place that is prepared to make some for me will only do it if I buy
500kg off them!) so I'm going to go with the flat plate capacitor described
in one of your postings (similar to the plastic bag capacitor).

I was just wandering how do you ensure a good bond between the plastic and
the aluminium foil. With the rolled caps the foil and plastic is forced
together by pressure but this wont work very efficiently with flat plate and
thin plastic dielectrics. If glue is used to bind the plastic and foil
together I imagine that it would be real difficult to prevent air bubbles
forming between them. How is a good bond between plastic and foil gotten for
a flat plate capacitor?

I have been thinking about making a whole lot of roll capacitors (miniature
versions of the ones you make), put them upright in a big square tupperware
container and then wire them in series-parallel to get the required voltage
and capacitance. This would solve the bonding problem without using glue and
the oil should still be able to get between the plates and foil.

Best Regards,
Mark

-- Mark
       _/_/_/   _/_/_/_/       Mark Conway
      _/    _/    _/          Deep Thought BBS, Auckland, New Zealand
     _/    _/    _/          A FirstClass(tm) Macintosh GUI BBS
    _/_/_/      _/          Internet: mconway-at-deepthnk.kiwi.gen.nz
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12