[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Primary Coil Wire, more...

>Subject: RE: TESLA COIL DESIGN

>Also, am I correct in assuming that all the wires in the primary circuit should
>be able to carry at least as much current as the primary winding?
	Not neccessarily.  Unless I am MUCH confused.  Richard Qm, check me on
	this.

>I always hear about "heavy" wire, but it doesn't make sense
	It dies, but there is a subtlety:

>to use beefy tubing in the primary coil if most of the wire in the primary
>circuit is any smaller (higher resistance).
	The tank (any tank) can/does have high circulating currents, resonant
	currents, that are (hopefully) higher than those in the supply wiring.

	With the currents involved (mA range) the risk of melting the wire is
	low, even with resonant effects, however the losses are significant
	if the wire is smaller.  Effectively, the current is deliverd to the
	primary tank in small doses and "Accumulated" there.  Its not
	(conventional mode kicks in here) "free" or "found" current.  Its just
	"stored" over a period of time.  Also, regardless of current limits,
	reducing the resistance improves the Q.  And using larger wire
	reduces the HF losses due to the curretn riding mostly on the surface.
	One could argue for all (tesla) primary wiring to be tube, to get the
	best results.  flat ribbon conductor (ground strap style) should also
	have advantages here.  (They are used in high energy/fast power
	circuits, in preference to "round" wire.)  I cannot say whether the
	gain would be enough to justify their use.

Cap Evaluation:
	I will Find time, i will...
	Sweeping them for esonance is a good thing.  A sparkgap has a broad
	range excitation.  If a cap (or any other part) has a resonance
	available in that range it can/will (non rigourous) pull energy away
	from the rest of the apparatus.  This:
		wastes energy
		Keeps it from the main purpose (HV, or transmission here)
		can lead to overhat/"rapid dissaembly" of cap.

	The sweeping suggestion is a good one, i have done that, for other
	puposes and with other equipment.

	At the risk of teasing, the scheme i was reading of would be useful for
	evaluating an unknown cap, before building in.  It uses a scope in an
	x-y mode, one deflection voltage, one current.  Ideal cap presents
	a straight line.  Lossy cap presents an ellipse.  (Thats enuf for
	some, more as i get a chance.)

Off the backlog:
	Someone was commenting on the effects of "arcs" on Telsa Power
	Transmission:  Its not at all clear that the "lightning" effects
	would have been present on an operating system.  It can be argued that
	NT was overdriving the system, with the lighting as a "voltmeter".  (I
	remain unconvinced on the practicality of the system, but for other
	reasons.)

	Also, an arc/spark (not the same thing, but lumped here) are not
	as lossy as one might think.  An Arc (and, to some extent, a spark)
	in a real sense, have negative resistance.  When an arc is struck in air
	the voltage "across" it (once struck) is quite low, so the losses are
	also low...

	regards
	dwp