[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TESLA COIL DESIGN

 * Carbons Sent to: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

 > From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
 > To: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com
 > Subject: Re: TESLA COIL RFI

Please take my tone with a tablespoon of salt!  R.Q.

 ES> I plan to build and operate the Tesla Coil in my basement.
 ES> I have a 1.5 inch copper pipe that goes through the cement
 ES> and runs underground (5 to 6 feet deep) about 80 feet out to
 ES> my well.  This should provide a good, non radiating ground.

Sounds good! As long as the pipe is electrically isolated from
any other electrical equipment. You don't want anything else
grounded to the dedicated RF ground. The dedicated ground is
strictly for: the base wire from the secondary coil, safety gap
center post, the core of the step up xfrmr, the motor housing
of the rotary gap, any protective strike shields or points
intended to draw spark, and the primary coil too if you intend
to operate circuits with one side of the primary grounded.

 RQ> I like a nice tight wound magnet wire secondary

 ES> I have read many books on Tesla coils, but not nearly
 ES> enough.

Oh NO! Not the books again! I am going to have to burn some
coiling books!  What books do you have? Who wrote them? Were they
the dreaded "radio" guys again? The radio guys with theory, but
short with the "hands on" arcs and sparks?  <grin of one who has
been there!, no insult intended, only humor>

 ES> I thought the reccomendation was to space the secondary
 ES> windings somewhat apart - like winding a string along with
 ES> the wire then remove the string.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, STOP WINDING! <grin, (been there!) grin>

 ES> This makes sense as it would reduce the secondary
 ES> capacitance and increase the Q.  Is this not the case?

Oww! Oww! (enough pain already!)

SERIOUSLY!

The answer to these questions is emphatically NO!. You want
maximum inductance in the secondary coil, within limits mind you,
but maximum inductance per unit volume within the breakdown
strength of the physical coil design. Do not space wind! Do not
use insulated wire! I have dozens and dozens of coils under my
belt. I build hot and I burn long, long, long. Throw the books
away... These guys with books out, with few exceptions, are
designing from radio theory or they are throwbacks to the coil
design schools of the 1920s and 30s. Modern, practical, coiling
experience shows (without a doubt) that the radio theory and
classical coil guys are wrong. Follow my advice and you will get
a coil that: runs cooler, runs longer, runs more efficiently,
uses a smaller primary capacitor, uses a smaller step up
transformer, and, exceeds the "radio" and "classic" school of
design theory in bottom line spark length and peak secondary
current by 30% at identical or lower input power levels.