Date: 12 Mar 1995 07:39:13 GMT
From: mconway-at-deepthnk.kiwi.gen.nz (Mark Conway)
Subject: Primary coil
To: richard.quick-at-slug-dot-org

Hi Richard,

I've just had a mammoth session cutting out all the bits of plastic for my
flat plate cap - next weekend I should be able to add the foil and hopefully
complete the cap.  After hearing of Ed Sonderman's success with his coil I
really want to finish off my one. I just hope that my main cap will hold up-
I am trying to keep everything really clean during the construction and I
figure that it should theoretically be able to withstand up to 26000 volts.
If it doesn't stand up to the high voltage its going to be really
frustrating!

After the cap all I will need to complete are the suppression caps and the
primary coil. I have the soft copper tubing for the coil. I notice from your
postings that you recommend making a "comb" out of plexiglas for the copper
tubing to sit above the wooden support. I see in the photo from Richard Hulls
guide to the Colorado notes that Richard Hull also uses this method but I
remember that in your video, the primary coil you use is on wooden supports
which you say were heavily dried and polyurethaned. Is using such a primary
coil almost as good as using a high Q plastic support? The reason that I ask
is that I will be able to make the primary coil support a bit faster if I can
just use wood alone.

Best Regards,
Mark

-- Mark
       _/_/_/   _/_/_/_/       Mark Conway
      _/    _/    _/          Deep Thought BBS, Auckland, New Zealand
     _/    _/    _/          A FirstClass(tm) Macintosh GUI BBS
    _/_/_/      _/          Internet: mconway-at-deepthnk.kiwi.gen.nz
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12