[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

One step closer

I just bought a 240V variac at a hamfest yesterday, so I'm almost ready
to wire things up in my garage where I have my 50A, 240V plug waiting for
me (current limiting is next on my list).  The variac is rated 240V at 28A
(7.8kVA), weighs more than my youngest son (he's 8), and cost me $90.  The
man had one more but I didn't have any money left (well, not really any
money...he did leave me with $2 to get home...sigh).  Am I going to
regret not selling my children and getting the other one, or will the one
28A variac handle the 50A circuit that I will eventually be using (with a
good fan)?  I will be slowly working my way up to using the whole 50A,
but for now and the forseeable near future, I'm sure the one will be more
than adequate for my needs.