[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wardenclyffe

 * Original msg to: Jstanley-at-stern.nyu.edu
 * Carbons sent to: usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net

Quoting Jeffrey Stanley <jstanley-at-stern.nyu.edu>:

> Oh my God.  You mean the firefall in Russia which killed a
> number of people is now being credited to Tesla?  That's a new
> one on me.  I'm sorry I missed Sightings.  Could someone fill
> me and the others in on exactly what was said?

Blame this one not on SIGHTINGS but Tad Wise.

                        TESLA
Tad Wise, 1994, Turner Publishing, Inc. 1050 Techwood Dr., NW,
Atlanta, GA. 30318, ISBN 1-878685-36-8 (Hardcover) ISBN 1-57036-
163-0 (Paperback). Distributed by Andrew & McMeel, 4900 Main St.
Kansas City, MO. 64112 and available from Barnes & Nobel (Item #
B118884, $9.98 paper). Billed as a "biographical novel" this book
is a very loose biography laced together with fictitious dialog
between Tesla and his co-workers, friends, and associates. The
book portrays Tesla in an unnecessarily bizarre light by playing
up on his eccentricities. In all fairness, others in the book are
not portrayed in their best light either; the description of
Edison as a mean, gnomelike figure with snarled teeth who spews
tobacco juice everywhere but in the spittoon finally did the man
justice. There is no technical meat or merit in this publication.

The Russian fireball story appears on pp. 293-297. This was the
first time (and place) I ever heard this one.

 > The spot on SIGHTINGS last night was done excellently....Tad
 > Wise the last biographer represented Tesla well..and showed
 > the money interests of Edison and Morgan to be what they
 > were...greed oriented. Unfortunately, the legitimacy of such a
 > show as SIGHTINGS probably helps little to give back the
 > dignity that was stripped of Mr. Tesla. The image of a MAD
 > scientist remains...but if anyone would take the time to read
 > Tesla's 1900 article in Century Magazine ( the one he rewrote
 > so many times ) the sensitivity, humanism, and pure intellect
 > of this man would shine through...

 > Incidently, SIGHTINGS said whole villages were wiped out in
 > the experiment in 1908 that is now blamed on Tesla...Eastern
 > Russia fireball...that was the first reference I've heard that
 > lives were lost. Fred

This is a classic example of the little fib that grew into a big
lie. I believe Tad Wise gave life to a little fib, which
apparently was later broadcast nationwide as a big lie. When I
first posted my review of Tad Wise's book I recieved some harsh
replies about my opinion of this publication. I stand by my
review. Now stories are out that have Tesla death-raying entire
villages, stories which I believe originated directly from the
publication above. What service did Tad Wise really do for Tesla?

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12