[Prev][Index][Thread]

Powerstats and smaller variacs

Hi Stan,

You wrote;

>Just a quick note to second Richard Quick's comments on the Scott
>Myers Powerstats. Scotty, are you sure this thing isn't new (g)? Mine
>arrived in absolutely impeccable condition. Thanks a million for your
>efforts. Scotty, I should be up your way in early January, and the drinks
>are on me if you're interested.

You guys.  I would do it for any Tesla hobbyist.  I figure the more we help each
other, the easier ( and hopefully cheaper) this hobby will become.  Drinks are
on you?  Well,,,,,, come on down!  You are the next contestant on the bar bill
is right!

>Can I get the pinouts on it?

Sure.  Probably the best thing everyone could do is to get their own Powerstat
catalog.  I have an older one, catalog P183.  There is a lot of data in this
catalog that you will find useful concerning these 1256D Powerstats.
Pinouts,schematics, performance data, voltage drops, etc.  Superior Electric is
the manufacturer of Powerstat brand variacs.  They are as follows:

Superior Electric
383 Middle Street
Bristol, CT 06010
phone (203)585-4500
fax (203)582-3784
Customer service direct line (203)585-4750 or (800)787-3532, ext. 4750

>Everyone that got one of these Also, can this be hooked up  to 115?
>If so, how? I'm still stuck with neons until I blow a few more of them.

The model I sent you is a 1256D.  It is meant for 240 VAC as you know.  You
could hook it up to 240 VAC, put a voltmeter across it, and turn it up to about
50%.  That would give you 120 VAC out.  If you need a high current  voltage
control varic for 120 VAC, you need a model 1156D.  That one is for 120 VAC and
handles up to 55 amps continuous!  I can get my hands on a couple of these.  If
you want a small 120 VAC unit, I can get plenty of these as well.  As a matter
of fact, I need another small variac and am going back to the company I got the
Powerstats from to get one.  I noticed that they had some 10 A and 20 A units
for 120 VAC when I was there last.

Any one else interested?

Scott Myers