[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New ground rods

cc: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com

Richard,

Well, I made it back from Las Vegas.  What a trip, it's going to take me a
while to rest up.  I did not loose all my money - tried hard however.

I did finally get my ground rods in this weekend.  I put in three eight foot
copper clad steel rods about seven feet apart.  I rented a medium duty
electric impact hammer (chipping hammer) and managed to drive the rods in
about 4 feet.  That's all the farther they would go.  Then I beat on them for
a while by hand - not much luck.  Then I took the impact hammer back and got
the largest electric jack hammer they had.  I managed to get two of the rods
all the way in and the last one about 6.5 feet in.  Must be solid rock under
there.  Then I dug a trench about one foot deep and connected the rods and
filled in the trench.  I plan to also dig another shallow trench and lay in
some bare copper wire in an area that is usually moist - it is a french drain
and usually stays quite damp from my sprinklers.  I also installed another
rod about 50 feet away for my 60 cycle ground.  It is near the house and the
smaller impact hammer drove it all the way down.

I have a question about my layout.  The ground rods will be set up on the
left.  About 20 feet to the right will be the coil on it's cart in the
position where I plan to run it.  25 feet to the right of the coil will be
the pole pig, filter board and the controls (this is up by the house, the
coil is in the middle of the yard and the ground rods are at the back edge of
the lawn).  I will have the coil connnected to the ground rods on the left.
 To the right, I will have the low power lines for the fans and the rotary.
 Also I will have the RG213 laying on the ground connecting to the filter
board.  I still need a RF ground wire going to the pole pig case and the
safety gap.  Do you think its ok to use the RG213 shield for this (tied to
the main RF ground at the bottom of the secondary) - or should I run a
separate wire?

Thanks,  Ed Sonderman