[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

T.C. Phone Home

Hello all,

While I was in the test room this afternoon pounding the walls and
ceiling grounded strike meshing with 7- 8 foot streamers from my medium
size coil now smoothly processing power at 4.6KVA, my telephone
answering machine recorded a most unusual call.

After concluding my tests and upon my return to the office in another
part of the building  I discovered that the call received light was lit on my
answering machine.  Rewinding and playing back the tape revealed  a
most unusual message.  The first part of the recording was normal as
though a caller had phoned, and held on the line choosing not to
speak.  Then, instead of my answering machine timing out after 20
seconds and automatically hanging-up it stayed off hook (divine
intervention?), until the telco automatic voice came on for a spell
advising, to paraphrase...'Hang up, hang up, a continued off-hook
condition at my end would not be further tolerated and that continued
misappropriation of precious milliamps of telco line current at 48 volts under
such circumstances would soon,  no doub't,  be considered a federal
criminal offence!'.  After many wasted minutes I guess their machine
finally realized that its threats were ineffectual as it was merely
talking to another of its own ilk, and so it finally ceased its stern
demanding message, and replaced it with a higher average power
consumption beep tone.  My answering machine continued to record this
noise until its tape ran out.

So what?, you must be saying to yourself if you're still reading
this.  Well, what it is is that the whole time during this recording,
in the background I can hear ZZZZZZZZZZT.......ZZZZT.....ZZZZZZZT...,
in 400Hz whine whenever my T.C. contacted a ground target with a good
hot streamer.  Apparently artificially lifting  ground here with some
artificial lightning induced  noise currents in my phone lines.

The burning question is therefore; Did my Tesla coil initiate the
recorded call? (Hmmm).  Did someone by chance call while I was
running my tests and not leave a message, but in doing so perhaps
triggered my answering machine to the point that line RFI could keep
it off-hook far beyond its normal time- out period?  Did line
transients upset the logic cicuit in the answering machine and cause
it to stay off hook, or even answer the line when not called?  OR, did Nikola
Tesla call? Naw, he would have left a message, right?  It MUST have
been Elvis, and He didn't leave a message cause He had the wrong
number!

Say, you know, this opens up new potential commercial applications
for T.C's.  I could start a T.C. 1-900 phone service.  Whenever a
hard core coiler phoned they would hear that sweet, sexy,
intoxicating...ZZZZZZZZT,  that some of us are willing to pay a lot
of money to hear!

Happy coiling!, rwstephens