[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla and Measurement

Richard,

Your neck is intact.  Indeed, Tesla did use simple DC resistance (he
had no knowledge of skin effect or other losses) to calculate Q.  This
lead to some whopping Q factors which he then used to calculate the
performance of proposed wireless power transmission systems.  Draw your
own conclusions from there.

Zap,
Mark

>Quoting MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz "Malcolm Watts":
>
>> I badly need some information from someone who has access
>> to the Colorado Springs Notes. I am hoping to get a copy later
>> this year but I need the info now.
>
>>    Questions : (a) Did Tesla measure the Q's of his primary
>> coils in isolation (including spark gaps)? (b) If so, what
>> technique did he use to measure them (I imagine there weren't
>> too many o'scopes around at the time :)  (c) Also if so, what
>> results did he get?  (d) Finally, what conclusions did he reach
>> about his results?
>
>There should be little doubt that Richard Hull or Mark Barton
>would be the resources to directly tap on these questions.
>
>With this out of the way I will stick my neck out, knowing full
>well that the above referenced people are likely to cut it off:
>
>Tesla typically measured Q factors by simple measurement of DC
>resistance. A woefully inaccurate method, but perhaps better than
>no method at all?

     <snip>