[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TCBOR Magnifier 11-E Specs

Sorry, didn't catch the name,

The spark gaps you speak of are all valuless for Tesla coil work, period!
 Yes some can switch in fractions of a micro second (EG&G KD21 "krytron")
but handle only a few amps.  Some can switch tens of thousands of amps
(Hughes 10,000 buck gap) but it takes only one pulse per minute.   Some can
take repetitive pulses (100-1000)/second, but they are, again, limited to
two or three amps.   I have heard rumors of a newer Hughes gap switch which
can pop 4,000 amps, 500 times per second (government stuff)  for a mere
megabuck or two.

Regarding ignitrons.  I cut my young teeth on these babies back in college
in the early 1960s.  SCRs of any power were a remote dream then and nothing
switched real power the way water cooled ignitrons did!  I had a final exam
in a lab where we had to change out a 1000 amp ignitron group in a 100 HP DC
motor speed regulator.  This included the water jacket plumbing too!
 (Engineers used to have to acquire a lot of skills.)    They are sloppy as
hell regarding turn off times and the ionized blast of mercury at 1000 amps
may calm down 2-8 milliseconds after a current reversal .   120 hz rates are
pushing these babies.  They can carry the juice but switch times are
attrocious and they are limited to a few thousand volts max.  Modern
hydrogen thyratrons switch fast, but are limited in current and voltage.

My statement remains that there exists no switch on the planet (which any of
us have the remotest possiblity of ever obtaining) which will switch tens of
thousands of amps at tens of thousands of volts, in micro seconds, beyond
the old air gap rotary systems of the early 1900s!  Semiconductors are flat
out for the forseeable future except in small tesla systems.  Some FETs may
soon play the larger game, but will be ultra expensive.  They curently top
out at 1500 volts.....about 6,000 volts short of the mark where real Tesla
coil activity begins.

Single gaps for single pops have been available for years, but would
vaporize in even small table top systems around 1kw.  I have always tried to
limit my statements about gaps in this forum to the needs of the Tesla coil
gap systems anyway.

Richard Hull, TCBOR

 ---------
From: tesla
To: 73041.2215; 73663.1536; BrittB7556; JHERRON; JOHNBATES3; abourass;
atech; av599; davide; funkadelic; jbiehler; jmonty; kg7bz; koppemha; logue;
nwtnmike; osburnw; pinsky; richardh; rmessick; rnicker; rwstephens;
shu95mmc; stevej; twill19; yiorgos
Subject: Re: TCBOR Magnifier 11-E Specs
Date: Thursday, April 11, 1996 9:38AM