[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TCBOR Magnifier 11-E Specs

Some requests have been made regarding the specifics of our latest
magnifier system.  I am not one to dwell on such minutia beyond
recording them in our lab notes.  I have never believed in parroting
a bunch of turn counts, dimensions, etc.  I feel that this is
focusing on the wrong end of Tesla coiling.  Many Tesla coilers are
just electrically oriented cabinet makers.  This is no slam, as 90%
of the people who build coils will build only one during their
lifetime and enclose it in a fabulous cabinet.  Being woodworkers,
they need to know such speciifics about funtioning coils so as not to
impede completion of their systems due to a failure on the electrical
end.

Magnifiers are rather complicated for the novice coiler to grasp only
because they have no experience with standard two coil systems.  Some
folks try to make them more complicated than they really are.  Most
failed attempts at magnifiers, even by competent and capable hands,
are related to the spark gap alone!  This is a critical area.  It
must not be dealt with lightly.

Spend time with two coil systems until tuning and a sense of system
balance becomes second nature before attempting a magnifier system.
You will have enough new worries on your hands and do not need to be
confused by the basics,

The terminal capacitance is very important too.  Large terminal
capacitances are a must for the resonator loading.  (See my article
in the recent TCBA NEWS)

Coupling in a magnifier is very tight with K=.3 being a minimum
value!  K values of .4 and above are recommended.  Insulation at
these couplings can be a real bear, so be advised.

We number our magnfiers, based on the driver configuration.  Any
major change in the driver increments the magnfier number.  The
driver is that part of the magnfier which conditions the 60 hz high
voltage input power and turns it into a very low impedance high
voltage source at the proper drive frequency.  It consists of the
resonant tank circuit. (Spark Gap, Capacitors, Primary coil) and the
secondary coil.

A change in the third coil (we call it the resonator) moves the
associated suffixed letter up one letter in the alphabet.   The
resonator is a coil, but we often refer to the total quarter wave
resonator bundle or package as the "resonator system".  This consists
of the actual coil plus the all important terminal loading
capacitance.  This capacitance is a major factor in the output
voltage, operating frequency, and acts to reduce the base impedance
of the resonator system significantly!

SPECIFICATIONS:

MAGNIFIER #11 - Driver:

Power transformer:       20.5kv rms -at- 5KW rated  240Vac  input
current limited
               by variable inductance and resistance.

Spark gap:          Special 8 point series quench rotary of TCBOR design
               (Hull/Sharpe)  .180 diameter tungsten points, 10KW max
                power input.

Capacitor, tank:         Varies with sub-variant letter class.
 Current #11-E uses
               2- .06 ufd 60kvac pulse caps in series for a
total system
               tank capacitance of .03 ufd.  These are custom wound
                by NWL and tested at 10,000 amp surge currents with
               less than 25 nano heries of nternal inductance.

Primary coil:       11 turns.  Top six turns are RG-234 double
shield silver
               plated coax transitioning into a bottom five
turns of 3/8"
               copper tubing.  tapable range 30uh-66uh.
Cylinder form
               wound on 24" diameter up right fence. *note.
primary is
                tapped from the bottom!

Secondary coil:          #10 THHN solid wire, wound on a 16" diameter PVC
                form to a total length of 18".  Topped with a 5"
                cross section toroid 26" diameter.  Toroid
is for corona
                supression and transmission line linkage.  This bare
                coil resonates at 555Khz

EXTRA COIL OR RESONATOR SYSTEM:

 11-E RESONATOR :   4"  diameter pvc drain pipe 14" long wound with #30
                kynar insulated wire for a total of 12".
This bare coil
               resonates at 650 khz.

11-E Terminal loading:   The base of the resonator coil is electrostatically
                shaded using a 12"X3" toroid.  This is the
point where
                the transmission line from the driver connects.  This
                point will traditionally give a 1 foot
flaming arc to ground.
Top Loading:        The first toriod is a  20"x5" toroid followed by an
                aluminum spreader cone dropping 12" and fanning out
                to 38".  The second and final toroid is a
10"X45" toroid.
               Loaded resonator system resonates at 180khz.

Overview:

This system is mounted in a most unusual way and a full description
and view of its assembly can be found on our tapes along with
operating sessions.  "Maggy" 11-E has been a recent record breaker
and has produced sparks as long as 118", point to point, straight
line at 6KW input power.  This is about 9.8 times the resonator
winding length and is a world record for Tesla system performance
when viewed against resonator size.  Naturally, we have proof of the
above in numerous still photographs and video segments as is our
normal practice.

I am glad to offer this overview of the current system in use here in
Richmond.  I hope that this will satisfy those interested in specific
form and application as regards our magnfiers.

For a catalog of our tapes, send $3.00 (refunable at time of tape
purchase) to :

Richard Hull
7103 Hermitage Road
Richmond, Va 23228