[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:Astro-Coil Returns Home!

Hello all...
Just a quick note to let you know that the coil that went on the road with
the band Man or Astro-man? has safely made it back to the Labs in Atlanta,
GA

The tour left Atlanta, and played 14 performances from Texas through
Chicago and back...three venues where to small to operate the coil safely.

The coil operated very well, with only a few problems.
28" sparks to either side of the 24" toriod gave a nice show.
The use of two small pieces of foil tape on the toroid made it very
predictable, and the use of two large flou.tubes gave the arcs a
predictable path (for saftey)

Running with  non-isolated ground was the biggest problem.
But the noise in the PA systems just added to the dramatic effect of the
coil's performance. No PA equipment was damaged...although one speaker in a
Fender guitar amp was blown (the amp was on 10, with a feedbback loop going
on when the coil was turned on...It may have blown on it's own, but of
course the guitar player believes it was the coil's fault...so I paid the
$80 for a recone)
Small price to pay for the excitment of a coil on stage like that!!

Some lighting systems would turn on..even with the faders in the off
position..it seems the control wires where picking up stray juice, and
turning on the dimmer packs...which was bad, because , of course, we wanted
it to be dark when the coil was on...but this was only when the lights were
close to the coil.(low ceilings)

Construction will be "beefed" up to handle the upcoming West Coast
tour...it is ashame we can't take it with us on our upcoming tour in Europe
..I will miss the coil while we are gone!
The dates of the performances will be posted on the Man or Astro-man WWW
site..along with photos from on the road...If we are coming to your town,
and you are intrested in attending..just email me..and you will be put on
the guest-list, so you can get in for free! (fellow coilers are always
welcome at a Man or Astro-man show, and considered our
guests!)...well....perhaps we will see you there!
Thanks,

Robert Del Bueno

Message from Coco
Astro Research Facilities and Laboratories
P.O. Box 250376
Atlanta, GA 30325

coco-at-astroman-dot-com
http://www.astroman-dot-com