[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Blown Neon transformers

Subject:       Re: Blown Neon transformers

From: "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com
Date:          Wed, 3 Apr 1996 15:25:14 +1200

>On reading about the ongoing problems re neon filtering....

>> My new handwound RF chokes (air core 142mH) appear to work OK by
>> themselves, and I still haven't lost a transformer with them,  but
>> when you add a 250pF bypass cap to the transformer output terminals,
>> KA-BOOO....phttt! (rwstephens)

>Malcolm writes:

>I'd like to add suggestion. How about lashing the filter up on the
>workbench then running it with a sig gen and scope to find (a) the
>associated resonance, and (b) tailoring some damping resistance to
>suit?

>Malcolm

Malcolm,

This seems like an excellent idea!  Of course one would have to include the
supply xfmer (neon or ignition type) in the test circuit.  In fact
this idea could be extended to test a pole pig powered system just to
see what kind of  resonance stresses might be occuring that are
luckily being handled safely by the isulating  oil  and high
B.I.L. test specification  construction of this type of  transformer.

The transfer impedance  contribution of the primary circuit probably won't be
significant in the case of a shunted transformer like a neon, it
probably gets all but lost in the magnetic shunt,  but could significantly effect
such a test with a pole pig system I would suspect. There's also the impedance
function of the AC mains, and the power generator back at the old Colorado
Springs power station which also became  included in this resonance test the last
time Tesla tried it at high power.

Happy coiling! rwstephens