[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More scopes

At 08:30 AM 4/3/96 +0700, you wrote:
>>From sroys-at-Anchorage.ab.umd.edu Tue Apr  2 17:47 MST 1996
>From: sroys-at-Anchorage.ab.umd.edu
>Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 18:47:13 -0500 (EST)
>To: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com
>Subject: More scopes
>
>Richard Hull (or whoever),
>
>I have a quick question about scopes for use in Tesla labs.  I just read
>the manual for the Tek 556 scope that I bought this weekend and found out
>that it has tubes AND transistors AND semiconductor diodes, and I was
>wondering how good this really would be for my lab?
>
>If it really isn't all that good for Tesla coil work, what would be the
>characterstics to look for in a scope - something without any
>semiconductors at all?  Also, if the 556 isn't the best, what models of
>Tek scopes would be better?
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Steven Roys
>

>The 556 would probably work fine for TC work. The 555 and 545 tek scopes
had less solid state cpmponents, however, any scope with decent bandwidth
has been manufactured in the semiconductor age. None of the 100% tube scopes
are worth using at high frequencys. ,The "hybrid" circuitry of the vintage
TEK scopes ( ie a mixture of tubes and semis) make them more suitable than a
new all solid state scope would be. They are much more forgiving. The
vertical input amplifier is going to take the brunt of whatever you connect
to, therefore, try to find a vertical input module with a tube front end as
opposed to transistor or fet.

Jim Leonard