[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Test results

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]
> >> tuned as a transmitter (no breakout or spark issues from the
> >> discharger).
> >>
> >> About twenty inches from the rounded "point" of the conical
> >> projection, I suspended a spherical terminal 4 inches in diameter
> >> from nylon monofiliment fishing line. A lead wire was taken from
> >> the sphere and routed on insulators towards my system ground. All
> >> measurements/distances were approximate, as I was changing things
> >> constantly, but this should give an idea of the basic arrange-
> >> ment.
> >>
> >> The coil was fired at very low power, >1kva, and the suspended
> >> sphere terminal distance to the toroid was adjusted until blue
> >> corona just illuminated the space between the two. By changing
> >> the distance between the lead wire from the elevated spherical
> >> terminal and my system ground, thereby drawing sparks to ground,
> >> I was able to verify the sphere was being charged by the coil.
> >>
> >> My next step was to build an insulated counterpoise above the
> >> ground by stacking some large toroids on a plastic milk crate.
> >> I connected the counterpoise (a high voltage capacitance of small
> >> value) to the lead wire from the sphere and discharged the
> >> counterpoise to ground periodically with a shunt on an insulated
> >> handle.
> >>
> >> For all appearances, this system was acting as if the spherical
> >> "pickup" terminal and the insulated counterpoise above the ground
> >> were being charged with DC from the coil. The more capacitance
> >> added to the counterpoise, the bigger and brighter the sparks I
> >> was able to draw to the system ground. The longer I allowed the
> >> counterpoise to charge, the bigger and brighter the sparks I was
> >> able to draw to the ground.
> >>
> >> There is a lot of additional experiments I have not yet
> >> undertaken with this rather simple apparatus. I will look into
> >> this more in the coming days.
> >>
> >> Richard Quick
> >>
> >> ... If all else fails... Throw another megavolt across it!
> >> ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12
> >
> >Richard,
> >
> >If you want to see just how this charging works, just hook a nice fat
> >.1UFd -30KV cap between ground and those stacked toroids on the milk
> >crates.
> >
> >The impedance of the system is low enough to charge a big ole healthy cap
> >and when shorted... BOOM!  So this is not some high impedance whimpy DC
> >charging mechanism, but can supply power if needed.  This is also too
> >easy not to try.  I have been running lots of Electrostatic machines of
> >of the collectors, too.  All from a coil of 15-20 watts.
> >
> >Good work, nice to here someone else monkeyed around with this a bit.  I
> >am about to undertake a series of quantitative experiments in this
> >matter.  More as I figure it out.
> >
> >Richard Hull, TCBOR
>
> If you just had an antenna and a capacitor, you are charging the capacitor
> and producing power, at least converting it from RF to what we can use.

Wrong!  There is no conversion from RF to DC!  That would require
rectification!  There is no rectification taking place!  The RF is lost
in space and goes away unused.
RHull.

  If
> it is DC, that is OK as most solid state works in this way anyway.  Now have
> you taken a DC power inverter and run an AC device off of it?  This would be
> an interesting experiment.

We are not getting the kind of energy needed to run an inverter from a 25
watt coil!
R. Hull

Also, I wonder how much ripple would be in the
> system?  If one is getting straight DC from the antenna (coil or for your
> case, counterpoise), the ripple would be zero, but what about the
> interference from the rest of the coil?  If you tunes it so it  only gave
> off RF (no sparks), would there be ripple then?  I don't have the setup like
> you folks have.

There will always be received, RF energy collected along with the DC.
Attaching a capacitor to the Ball collector and ground removes 100% of
any ripple, which would always be a mish-mash of the primary coil
frequency and a lot of other RF garbage emitted from the system.
Due to the lack of rectification this RF energy collected is shunted to
ground and lost.
Rihcard Hull, TCBOR

  This is interesting material.