[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Higher Voltage Pole Pig

Tesla List wrote:

> >From bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-comSat Aug  3 20:58:38 1996
> Date: Sat, 03 Aug 1996 07:43:08 -0700
> From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Higher Voltage Pole Pig
>
> Malcolm (and others):
> big snip

> Now suppose that the pole pig secondary voltage is significantly
> increased (40 KV). The capacitor would charge to Vgap for a longer
> portion of each half-cycle, and assuming the pig/ballast could deliver
> enough charging current, the capacitor would re-charge at a quicker rate
> since it would be heading to a much higher peak value before being
> discharged at Vgap - we should get more "hits" per 60 Hz half-cycle, and
> correspondingly, more effective power transferred to the secondary.
> Slightly more stress would be placed on the primary cap since its duty
> cycle would increase, but in all cases it would be clamped to Vgapmax. I
> can't see a problem with this approach, but I haven't tried it out "for
> real", and am somewhat reluctant to do a smoke test without first
> bouncing the idea off the experts in the group.
>
> Comments, flames, constructive criticism are appreciated... :^)
>
> -- Bert --

Bert,

You are correct, a larger Vin for a given gap setting will result in more
pops per half cycle, more energy out, more spark and more problems with
component breakdown.

Few coilers are prepared to handle the extreme problems attendant with
voltages much above 15,000 volts.

The static gap would be the best gap in the world if it weren't for
quench problems beyond 3-4KW.

Richard Hull, TCBOR