[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Rebuilding a neon

I have acquired 3 Jefferson Electric 12kv 60 ma neon transformers
free of charge. One unit works fine and is working well on my coil.
I am trying to rebuild one of the dead units. I unpotted it ok and
once the tar was off it came to life. However there is some arcing
between the windings and core. So I have attempted to dismantle the
core and remove the windings. There are 4 rivets in the corners and
the windings are contained on a bar along one edge of the core.
Excuse my attempt at ascii artwork.

     |      /                              \       |
     |     | SEC           PRI         SEC  |      |
     |    --\----- ------------------------/--     |
     |     | SEC   |---|   PRI   |---| SEC   |     |
     |     | SEC   |   |   PRI   |   | SEC   |     |
     |     | SEC   |   |   PRI   |   | SEC   |     |
     |     | SEC   |   |   PRI   |   | SEC   |     |
     |     | SEC   |   |   PRI   |   | SEC   |     |
     |     --------|   | --------|   |--------     |
     |_____________________________________________|

The bar containing the windings seems like it should slide
out of the rest of the core.But it seems quite unmovable.
Removing the rivets from the rest of the core didn't help.

Also where are the magnetic shunts in this transformer. I don't
see anything that looks like a shunt plate.It just seems to be a 2 piece
core.

I have rebuilt 2 Franceformer neons and they were a piece of cake.
This puppy has me stumped.

Mike Hammer
mhammer-at-midwest-dot-net