[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Whoa! Guys!

All,

I just returned from lunch and in a private email post, one fellow is
already playing with an electrometer around his coil!  He was very
puszzled by some of his measurements.  Lotta quite folks out there are
just listening in on th' cross talk!  How many 'we got' on this list as
listeners, Chip?!!!

The electrometer is one of the most sensitive electronic measuring
instruments in the hands of modern man!  You can't use one of these
things like a VOM!!!  There are numerous gottchas awaiting the casual or
neophyte user.  Due to its sensitivity, a lot of effects we might nevr
think of can affect measurments. ( thermal noise, cosmic and natural
radiation, triboelectric effects, piezeo effects, electrochemical
effects, EM and elecrostatic effects, ETC.)  For those few who are
interested, Keithley puts out a nice book entitled "Low Level
Measurements Handbook".  (Obtained though Keithley at their web site-
Search on Keithley).  It must be read and thought applied prior using an
electrometer for effective results or for meaningful measurments.

Richard Hull, TCBOR

[ Currently there are 204 subscribers.  I'll let you grep all the past messages
  for "From:", grep -v "Tesla List" the output, sort it, run it through uniq and then wc,
  then subtract that number from 204, to give the number of "listeners" :-)
  -- Chip "Loves Linux/UNIX" Atkinson]