[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Addendum-DC Tesla

Tesla List wrote:

> >From MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nzWed Jul 31 21:50:52 1996
> Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 09:32:34 +1200
> From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Addendum-DC Tesla
>
> Hi everyone,
>              I would like to congratulate Richard on an excellent
> series of experiments and some fascinating ideas. I'd also like to
> thank him for sharing this with me. The concept of charging the air
> with waves of ions is quite new to me. I don't think for one minute
> this affects the AC dynamics of the coil itself. But storing energy
> in the air in this fashion could certainly explain the discharges
> talked about. Permit me to inject a thought or two.
>      If one progressively stores energy in this way, one final shot
> would at some stage be sufficient to tip the balance as it were and
> let the lot go. Is this how you see it Richard?

This is exactly how I would understand the hot arc channels in a working
system!!  You understand my thoughs exactly.  R. Hull

> > Many of my fellow engineers and even the more informed neophytes, just
> > have to feel that some sort of rectificaion is taking place in the Tesla
> > coil scenario I played out in the earlier posting.  Why guys!  Lets think
> > a moment.  I wonder if we were to account for all the losses and outputs
> > from a Tesla coil in "HOT SPARK MODE" if we wouldn't find the DC output
> > would swamp the AC output in relative power?  If this were the case, the
> > DC would be the "normal mode of operation for the sparking system"!!
>
> In effect I see rectification occurring through ion migration away
> from the terminal. I can see how a series of waves of diminishing
> amplitude can in effect rectify by leaving a nett charge in the
> ionized air. Is my understanding right here?

This not rectification in the normal sense of the modern understanding of
the word, but yes, one might well look at it thus.  In the strictest
sense (AC wall input to DC collection on remote electrodes) yes,
rectification of some form is occuring!  R. Hull

> <snip>
> > Another observation.  A discharging tube coil or solid state coil
> > (more or less CW) will not produce the DC effect to any noticable
> > degree!  It appears, in fact, that it is down by a factor of 2-4
> > orders of magnitude per unit RMS power input!  I have always
> > spoken out for the disruptive coil producing less RF and more DC
> > goings on than the tube based system. I feel that this is due to
> > the rather large instantaneous power per pulse found in disruptive
> > systems (often megawatts) as opposed to the tube based systems (
> > rarely hundreds of watts).
>
> This would make sense if the phenomenon were dependent on the
> differing amplitude of successive waves, yes?
>
> <snip>
> Please tell me if I misunderstand any of this. One thing interests me.
> In the process of ionizing air around the terminal (ion cloud) there
> must be some recombination going on as well. When the coil is
> prevented from emitting sparks, is there any glow around the terminal?

Good thoughts!  Naturally, ionic recombination is always taking place and
rapidly too, but the pulse rate and energy delivery to the cloud around
really large systems limits this.  After running the big maggey and
shutting it down, I can move a sphere through the air 10 feet away and
sweep up lots of charge.

There is a glow around the terminal of any none emitting coil. Try it!
In room light it is never visible, but in total darkness with a fully
adapted eye, the system is a mass of corona.  It is this corona (less
efficient) which allows a supposedly non-issuing coil to DC transfer,
albeit 10 times slower.  Again, a lot of the energy in a non-issuing
system is going into RF (electromagnetic radiation).  R. Hull