[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Addendum-DC Tesla

Tesla List wrote:

> >From MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nzWed Jul 31 21:49:50 1996
> Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 11:16:09 +1200
> From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Addendum-DC Tesla
>
> I'd just like to add another thought to this.
>
> > Many of my fellow engineers and even the more informed neophytes, just
> > have to feel that some sort of rectificaion is taking place in the Tesla
> > coil scenario I played out in the earlier posting.  Why guys!  Lets think
> > a moment.  I wonder if we were to account for all the losses and outputs
> > from a Tesla coil in "HOT SPARK MODE" if we wouldn't find the DC output
> > would swamp the AC output in relative power?  If this were the case, the
> > DC would be the "normal mode of operation for the sparking system"!!
>
> At the time a discharge is initiated, the terminal has some
> arbitrary polarity. In effect you could look on it as having a large
> DC charge even though this is a momentary state of affairs.
> Make sense?
>
> Malcolm

Malcolm

Let's assume a positive polarity at the "first" discharge. An ion cloud
forms. Does it have polarity? What if the next pulse arrives and the
leading cycle is negative. Does the toroid have to be recharged in the
opposite direction before a new discharge can take place? What about the
ion cloud... does it have a charge?
H'mmmmmmm.

Skip