[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New to the group / ion cloud

Tesla List wrote:

> >From atech-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comThu Aug 15 12:26:30 1996
> Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 22:45:54 -0700
> From: "Dennis C. Lee" <atech-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: New to the group / ion cloud
>
> Do these sparks result from the ions colliding thus forming the continuous
> conductive path that is the arc?
>
> Is a brush discharge thus in reality the same ions only in a collisionless
> state (hence no arc)?
>
> In "Electricity at High Pressures and Frequencies" by Henry L. Transtrom, a
> recipe for the brush discharge is suggested on pages 207 - 208.
>
> 'By using only the two top turns of the primary coil, and having
> considerable inductance in the primary circuit of the step-up transformer,
> the whole top of the high frequency secondary is covered with a beautiful
> spray so fine and dense that it looks like the fine spray of a fountain,
> only colored a bluish violet.'
>
> I am having difficulty visualizing what the above adjustments mean
> electrically, and why does this cause a brush discharge? Can anyone shed
> some light on this puzzle?
>
> Regards;
> Dennis C. Lee
>
> At 10:25 PM 8/13/96 -0600, you wrote:
> >  As a matter of fact, the long sparks are partially due to this phenomenon!
> >
> >Richard Hull

Dennis,

By using only the top two turns of the primary and reducing the
power capability of the transformer, the coil becomes grossly
undercoupled and the energy supply system (transformer) has been
crippled.  This allows voltage to buildup without any energy behind it.
What energy does make it to the secondary, is spent ionizing the air
around the secondary.  This is seen as a solid sheet or dome of glow over
the top of the resonator.

Brush discharges are best seen in high frequency coil systems. 1MHZ +

Richard Hull, TCBOR