[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Maximum toroids on 1/4 wave coils

Tesla List wrote:

> >From chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-comWed Aug 28 22:37:20 1996
> Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 21:59:22 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Chip Atkinson <chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Maximum toroids on 1/4 wave coils
>
> Greetings,
>
> I was wondering about the limit of toroid sizes on 1/4 wave coils.
> I am under the impression that for magnifiers toroid sizes can be
> monstrous, but does this hold for 1/4 wave coils too?
>
> Chip

Chip,

The sky is the limit on both systems!!  It is only your ablitiy to supply
enough energy for breakout that limits the size.  The maggey does better
with large toroids only because there is no primary to slap.  A 15" tall
6" diameter resonator can be mounted on a telephone pole and a 50 foot
diameter toroid could be used to good advantage.  With a primary on a two
coil system, your arcs can get so long that they just hit the primary
only!

Richard Hull, TCBOR