[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: self-C comments

Hi all,
         I think there might be an optimum terminal radius of
curvature to match the energy storage in the primary cap. I have
found that if the terminal has too high a breakout voltage for the
Ecp, no matter how long you run the coil for, streamers can never
break out. Indirectly, this also shows that (leaving air-charging
effects aside), there is a limit to the terminal voltage that can be
reached based on bang size, single or repetitive. Perhaps we should
try and quantify what that optimum curvature is to make a design more
complete first off. It may also be that if a large terminal is
required, the secondary inductance should be scaled to match its
capacitance. This approach would IMO reduce a design to more
fundamental considerations.
     One other thought I mentioned awhile back on Steve's list was
that one could choose a secondary coil winding height based on bang
size also. This pretty much sets the secondary design in concrete.

What does everyone think? Could we try nailing this one?

Malcolm

PS - slight addendum to my post on the solid state neon transformer.
It would definitely pay to check whether there is mains isolation in
the transformer before trying it as a CW supply. This type of power
factor correction/current limiting scheme is most cheaply implemented
with a series choke and shunt switch element, so isolation might very
well not be there. To get around that would require a ferrite or air-
cored coupling transformer. Perhaps somebody who has access to these
could check it out.