[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging -- Success!

Hello All:

	First a Thank You to Malcom and Jim for their thoughts on likely areas
to look for my system problem.  I believe I have located the "BUG", it
was the rotary gap.  One of the two pillow blocks supporting the main
shaft had never been fully tightened during the original assembly.  They
came looser and created a significant problem.  Yea, dumb as a bag of
rocks is an acceptable comment!  Knocked the Lovejoy shaft coupling back
about 3/8" along the motor shaft.  The good news is no real damage was
done, except for needing a total realignment.  That is now done and I'm
in the re-assembly stage of activity.
	My original spark output was not real good, when power input is
considered.  After putting in the new analog meters I beleive that I had
about 4000 watts in and about a 6 foot spark out max .  I examined my
primary/secondary coil placement visually and the first or lowest
secondary turn is exactly even with the extreme top of the primary
copper tube.  I never had even a hint of an arc from anywhere along the
secondary to anything else.  I feel I could afford to raise the primary
for a small increase in coupling, without smoke occurring!.  I designed
the primary so that I can raise it with nylon spacers.  My first thought
was to fire things up again and verify I'm back to where I was with the
repaired rotary, then raise the primary 1/2" for some more coupling.
	I would appreciate any comments on where others have found the primary
secondary coupling point to work out the best,relative to the bottom of
the secondary.  How far up?  I realize every system will be
significantly different, but comments would still be of interest.
Thanks in advance for any comments

Chuck