[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 3/4 wavelength error

Tesla List wrote:

> >From Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-comTue Aug  6 20:29:56 1996
> Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 11:51:54 -0400
> From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: 3/4 wavelength error

> <<
>  Depending on the drive transformer which I happen to be using, I have been
> most
>  successful in using a cap that is matched to the transformer using the
> classical
>  formula. When using a 15kv 120 ma unit, I use a .021 mfd. My best input
> power to
>  discharge ratio has been when using a 720 va transformer which produces 48"
> discharges.
>  I cannot figure out why I have been unable substantially increase the
> discharges when
>  going to higher power.
>
>  Skip >>
>
> Skip,
>
> Using 12,000 volts at 120 ma (about twice your power) I had about 50"
> discharges.  Now using a 5kva pole pig I can only get 80" discharges, even
> with the pig cranked up to 7 or 8 kva.  I think it is a function of the
> physical properties of the coil.  With a particular coil geometry, I think as
> you steadily increase input power, you finally reach a point of diminishing
> returns where more power in provides little increase in secondary discharges.
>
> I think if I went from the present 6.0" dia secondary up to 8.0" or 10.0", at
> the same power level, I would see a large increase in discharge length.
>
> Ed Sonderman

Ed and all,

I would be interested to know your reasoning regarding being able to get
larger sparks by going to a larger diameter coil. Is this a seat of the
pants thing? Actually this is what I have seen in practice and I would
really like to determine the limit if it exists. Every time I increase
diameter the discharge length goes up!

Thanks for any comments

Skip