[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Electrostatics

Tesla List wrote:

> >From rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com Wed Dec 11 23:03:40 1996
> Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 08:22:54 -0800
> From: Richard Wayne Wall <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: TC Electrostatics
>
> 12/11/96
>
> Ed wrote:
>

> >"If you shunt across your thermal RF meter with a diode one
> >direction, then the other, you should be able to _safely_ measure any
> >difference in magnitude between the positive and negative portions of
> >the average coil-base current."
> >       Think the resistance of the heater in the TC ammeter will
> >be so low that the diodes will have no effect.
> >Ed Phillips
> >

> Ed,
>
> The experimental data from shunting the thermo-galvanometer is on the
> table.  This is an extremely easy experiment to replicate.  The diodes
> are 12 kV PIV 550 ma microwave diodes.  MCM sells them for less than $2
> and Fair Radio sells Thermo RF ammeters for a few bucks.
>
> The diodes definitely block base EM current.  We must also consider the
> electrostatic component.  Tesla certainly did.
>
> Let us know how your experiment turns out.
>
> RWW

All,

I am working on the electrostatic and isotropic capacitance issues in my
section of Leland Anderson's up coming book. (in which I am an editor)

We must consider that when Tesla was formally educated, he was deeply
involved with and thoroughly taught electrostatics.  The electrodynamics
which was only just developing, he picked up as he went along following
his college days.  In his youthful day, electrostatics "was electricity"
and the magnetic field and electricity were only just being linked and
accepted as a probable reality due to Maxwells work.  Remember, Maxwell's
work was only hailed as a wonderful thing by most acedemicians following
the superb verification discovery by Hertz of electromagnetic waves which
Maxwells theory hinted at.

Teslas ideas about Tesla coils and electrostatics should be taken very
seriously by us poor swine who were not properly schooled in
electrostatics beyond the usual college physics courses.  In my
electrical engineering ciriculum other than for physics, the word
electrostatics was never mentioned except as a barest gloss over to
introduce Maxwell!  We must play a game of catch up through deed and
experiment to get the grip we need to deal extensively with the
electrostatic issues which now seem so closely inter-twined with the
Tesla coil, whether AC or DC powered.

Richard Hull, TCBOR