[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: first TC

Tesla List wrote:

> >From RRice43147-at-aol-dot-com Sun Dec  1 22:03:08 1996
> Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 14:48:07 -0500
> From: RRice43147-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: first TC
>
> Hi
> Just built my first TC and have a question.
> I built a beer bottle and salt water cap and it
> seems to arc inside the bottles, is this normal
> or could it be to small.I am powering it with a 4000
> volt neon and wanted to check before upping to a
> 15000 volt neon.right now i'm getting only 4in.sparks.
> thanks
> Rick

Rick,
	I've seen the same thing. Hook your caps in series, this will
increase the voltage insulation. Glass is a good dielectric but
a terrible insulator when compared to such things as polyethylene
plastics. Attached below is a picture.

Note: I currently use a stacked plate capacitor that I constructed
from some of the post from Richard Quick. The only salt water caps
I use are for safety capacitors accross my transformer.

Tesla coiler at large.
D. Gowin

  [Part 2, Image/JPEG  32KB]
  [Unable to print this part]

[ NOTE: The image will be sent out later tonight. (With some other back logged
images).  It is named gowin.jpg -- Chip]