[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Electrostatics (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> > > Subject: Re: TC Electrostatics (fwd)
>
> >From lod-at-pacbell-dot-net Sun Dec  8 22:58:09 1996
> Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 12:55:53 -0800
> From: lod-at-pacbell-dot-net
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: TC Electrostatics (fwd)
>
> Ed Harris wrote:
> >snip

> > This property is essential to the etching process since it rams the
> > chemically reactice ions into the film to be etched. Anyway, in the case
> > of the tesla coil, I would imagine ( Richard?) that the rectification would
> > be more effective (per watt expended) when the coil is producing lots of
> > corona and not so many arcs to ground.
>
> [snip]
>
> The rectification effect in gases might explain some of the charging phenomena,
> but I'm uncertain as to why tube-type (CW) coils don't also produce the same
> rectified output effect.  Two possible explanations:
>
>   a)  The output voltage is much less in CW coils due to the high duty cycle.
>   b)  A highly damped output waveform is required to produce the DC component.
>
> Also, if the DC component is produced by rectification of the output, then I
> wonder how the plastic pieces of the secondary coilform get charged up, as they
> are only exposed to the AC voltages on the secondary, before the rectification.
> I guess that there could be 'micro-rectification points' on the plastic surface,
> where sharp edges and imperfections produce field emissions into the plastic.
>
> Perhaps I'll learn something in January, when I'm able to run the coil again.
> I'll try and see whether flipping the primary phasing changes the polarity of
> the charge induced on a test plate.
>
> -GL

Greg,

I think that the highly damped wave and tremendous peak energies in the
disruptive system will be the ulitmate causitive agent and explain the
lack of DC charging effects in the tube coil system. (your "B."
suggestion).

Again, I think that true rectification, as we know it, is out as an
explaination.  Though, by some "liberal stretch" of the term we might
bring it forth.  Alternating energy is producing DC electrostatic
effects.

Richard Hull, TCBOR