[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wine bottle Tesla coils

At 11:01 PM 12/5/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>From Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com Thu Dec  5 22:59:35 1996
>Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 14:34:58 -0500
>From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Wine bottle Tesla coils
>
>If I do make a small coil using a wine bottle, I need to cut about 1.5" off
>the neck of the bottle so the small toroid won't be too high.  Does anyone
>know how to cut bottles?  I remember reading that you can take a string
>soaked in lighter fluid, tie it around the bottle, light it and let it burn
>for 10 seconds or so and then dunk in it a bucket of water.  Has anyone tried
>this - or got any better ideas?
>
>Ed Sonderman

The heating and quenching is supposed to work,but I've had no luck
with this method.What does work is a gizmo I have that is essentially
a jig with an adjustable glass cutter attached, the bottle is
rotated against the cutter while being held "square".
I've also seen a rig that uses a Dremel tool, same princple.

                       Rip Sumrall
                       Jackson,Mississippi
                       http://www2-dot-netdoor-dot-com/~rip/
                       http://www2-dot-netdoor-dot-com/~rip/art.htm